Praying for a Resolution to the Shutdown: January 2019
We’ve recently entered the second month of a partial government shutdown, with disagreements over immigration policy at the center of the stalemate.
Leaders of the Evangelical Immigration Table have urged all sides to come together and work toward a bipartisan solution on immigration consistent with the Evangelical Statement of Principles for Immigration Reform, including calls for both secure borders and an earned legalization process for undocumented immigrants.
We wanted to invite you to add your name to this letter sent recently by evangelical leaders to President Trump and Congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle.
But we also want to ask you to pray:
- Pray for our elected officials, that they would put the wellbeing of the country, of vulnerable immigrants and of our security ahead of partisanship and personal disagreements
- Pray for employees and contractors of the federal government who are currently not being paid, that this shutdown would be resolved quickly and God would provide for their needs in the interim
- Pray for individuals with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) protections and other “Dreamers” (young people brought to the U.S. as children who became undocumented), that Congress would finally agree on legislation to allow them to remain permanently in and continue contributing to the country they consider home
- Pray for those long-term residents of the U.S. who have benefited from Temporary Protected Status (TPS), who also yearn for the opportunity to stay permanently in this country but, pending court decisions, could lose their legal status in the coming months
- Pray that God might work good out of a difficult situation, bringing about long overdue reforms to U.S. immigration laws to include both secure borders and an earned legalization process for immigrants in the country unlawfully
Thank you for praying with us,
National Coordinator, Evangelical Immigration Table